Astra Magazine has two month-long reading periods for each of its biannual print issues. Submissions are only accepted via Submittable.
Upcoming open submissions period:
Issue 3, theme: BROKE (on sale April 2023)
Submissions open September 1, 2022 to October 1, 2022
Astra Magazine's themes can be interpreted creatively and loosely. We’re interested in great writing above all. For BROKE, we imagine an issue that examines wealth disparities and the world of work, and finds meaning in ruins, errors, and glitches.
The best way to get a feel for if your work is a good fit for Astra Magazine is by reading a recent issue: you can subscribe here.
Each issue features a mix of fiction, poetry, essays and comics. We accept submissions in any genre. We publish both work originally written in English and work in translation.
- short story formats are preferred
- excerpts from longer work (not yet published in English) considered.
- Yes Please: lyric, evergreen essays or hybrid works
- Yes Please: Writing that will last for years and remain fresh on a shelf.
- No Thanks: journalism, reportage or opinion pieces tied to current events: that kind of writing lives best online.
- No Thanks: Academic/theoretical writing: this is not the place for the third chapter of your thesis.
- Poems that engage both the mind and heart.
- Preference for poems that don’t exceed two pages.
- Established poets & new voices welcome.
- Any genre
- Must be previously unpublished in English
- Include the original text at the end of your translation
- Translators should seek permission from the rights holder of the original text.
- Work previously published in English from a magazine or publisher outside the USA is acceptable, provided the circulation was limited.
- Excerpts of books under contract with a US publisher are acceptable, provided the book publishes after our issue’s publication date. Please specify any contracts or previous publications at the top of the document.